Nissan Kicks Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone who owns a Kicks. It seems that this vehicle only has one gear to downshift into. Whether I'm going 10 mph or 60 mph, when I downshift to low, it only goes into what feels like the lowest possible (1st) gear. This greatly over revs the engine when going any speed over 30 mph. This seems like a very dangerous design flaw if someone were to downshift on a slick road. The car would spin out.

The Nissan Rogue's transmission senses the speed you are trying to hold on a downslope after you touch the brakes, but this Kicks transmission does not seem to do this.

Is this how your Kicks's transmissions function, or is there something wrong with mine?

Thanks

·
Registered
2020 Nissan Kicks SV
68 Posts
You should not be down shifting into the "Low" setting until you are going 10km/h. The Low gearing is for times that you need torque and only torque.

You should. It be playing with the transmission like it was a standard :p It is a CVT let it do its job.

·
Registered
2020 Kicks SR
16 Posts
A CVT does not have gears like a regular transmission.
Unlike a traditional automatic (or manual transmission, for that matter), a CVT does not have a fixed number of preset gears. Instead, it uses an unlimited number of gear ratios to accommodate the driving style and conditions at any given moment. Because it allows seamless changes without any hard shift points, a CVT transmission is often referred to as "single-speed" or "shiftless."
A CVT achieves this infinite gear ratio flexibility by using two opposing cone-shaped pulleys with a chain or belt that runs between them. This setup is very similar to the way a chain operates across the gears of a bicycle.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.