Nissan Kicks Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Tonight I had an issue with my 2019 kicks sr. While driving home about 20 mins into my drive I turned the AC off and then back on again because I was getting warm here in the Florida heat. I drove maybe 1 minute before the traction and collision light came on separately 1 after the other. Then I got home a few minutes later and went to reverse into the garage and the car seemed to have almost no power to reverse. I was giving it a lot more gas than usual and nothing was happening. Then I put it in park and the car idle was going from around 1000 to a little less on its own up and down up and down. I got my boyfriend to get in and he finally rolled it forward in neutral and gave it some gas that allowed it to barely make it in the garage. It was making a few weird sounds along with the idle bouncing up and down while it sat in the garage. I'll try and attach the video for reference. He put some coolant in it as it was a little low and were taking it to the dealer tomorrow morning. Any ideas on what it may be? I already have the issue with the collision sensor that nissan fails to recognize and this is just 1 more thing to add to the list of issues I've had with it since it was brand new.

EDIT: the video is too large to post here.

·
Super Moderator
54 Posts
It could be a bad battery. Have the dealer load test the battery. Newer vehicles if the battery goes bad it will do weird things. Have the dealer also check if you have the latest Firmware or Software update for the car. It's like a Cell phone that needs software update. I always ask my Dealer if it has the Latest software or Updates. Have them also check the Alternator if it's putting out the proper voltage. The up and down Idle could be caused by the AC clutch coming on & off. Have them scan for Trouble codes too. I hope this helps. Keep us posted.

·
Registered
2020 Nissan Kicks SV
71 Posts
May I ask which sound in the video is concerning?
The clicking noise that turns on intermittently coincides with the rpm jump. That is you AC compressor turning on and off. Perfectly normal operation.
The whining noise is probably the fan belt, also normal.
The ticking noise when you open the engine bay is probably the lifters or valves. My Honda did the same thing.

I will circle back to the AC for a moment though.
With my 2020 Kicks. Whether the AC is on or I use the auto climate feature. The AC compressor does kick in intermittently, though more extremely when in AC mode. My kicks has always had a bouncy idle because of it.
The AC compressor puts massive draw on the engine, which is why the idle bounces.
I suspect there is nothing wrong with your car, but I can not explain why you are just noticing it now.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts