Nissan Kicks Forum banner

Should I make a manual on how to install the flush rail/roof side rails?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
2021 Nissan Kicks S
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Everybody,

The Nissan Kicks is a fun car, but a significant limitation has been its lack of flush rails/roof side rails to allow for installing a roof rack. I own a 2021 Nissan Kicks S, and from the factory, the car came without flush rails/roof side rails; instead, the car had a black plastic piece covering where the silver flush rails/roof side rails would be. This has been a problem for many people, yet there aren't any solutions. So I decided to figure it out myself, and I did. Before I continue, I do want to mention I am not a mechanic and do not specialize in any car, merely a car owner who decided to do it themselves. I was able to get my hands on the official 2021 Nissan Kicks (P15) paperwork which provided me with complete instructions to dismantle the car, remove/install parts, etc. I then tried to install the flush rails/roof side rails myself. I was successful (though I had to redo it because I realized only after I forgot to order a piece.) The screw holes that hold the plastic cover are also designed to hold the flush rail/roof side rails, meaning it's entirely possible. However, Nissan decided to make the process extremely complicated and it took almost 10 hours of my time to do. For those who are still not discouraged, I have a complete list of all parts needed and full instructions on how to do it. It will take me a lot of time to compile everything into a neat manual, but I will do it if people are interested. Let me know, should I make the manual to install the flush rail/roof side rails or not?

Thank You.

·
Premium Member
2021 Nissan Kicks S
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hey,

The answer is yes. I replied to your other post, but it claims I need "moderate approval" to post (I think it's because I included a link to the required wrenches to remove the exhaust.) So I'll repost it here and space out the link.

Previous Post
That's awesome; I had a custom axle-back performance exhaust done for my Nissan Kicks (no pipes were cut for the same reason you don't want to cut.) Unfortunately, I didn't get a whole custom exhaust, but even a custom axle-back made this 130hp car roar; I recommend it. Regarding how to remove that bolt, Nissan uses odd bolt sizes, so not many options will work. So I will include a complete breakdown of the Nissan Kicks Exhaust, which also states bolt sizes. In addition, Nissan recommends using power tools and using a unique Nissan Tool for the Exhaust System (J-38365 or nissantechmate . com/equipment/product/9978)

Good Luck.

Any modifications to the Exhaust technically void some aspect of the warranty
2021 Nissan Kicks Exhaust System:
Product Font Auto part Rectangle Parallel

Rectangle Parallel Font Number Screenshot

·
Registered
2020 Nissan Kicks SV
67 Posts
I would straight up pay money for your manual if it is easy to follow. I decided to cut my loses on roof racks and went with a trailer hitch instead.
Your thread is now inspiring hope in me. :)

·
Premium Member
2021 Nissan Kicks S
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I would straight up pay money for your manual if it is easy to follow. I decided to cut my loses on roof racks and went with a trailer hitch instead.
Your thread is now inspiring hope in me. :)
I appreciate the generous offer, but I don't need money. I wanted to work on my Nissan Kicks, but there isn't much info, so I decided to teach myself. I want to change the community, make information about the Nissan Kicks more accessible, and answer people's questions with my new knowledge. Somebody has to start somewhere. I'll gladly make the manual if it helps you. It'll take me some time, but I'll make a list of all the parts/tools needed and I'll try to make simple step-by-step instructions. I will warn that though Nissan made it a pain to install roof racks, it requires a lot of interior dismantling/removal, which will need to be re-installed. But if you have the time and patience, it will be no problem. Let me know if there is anything, and I'll start making the manual.

Side Note
I want to make a Nissan Kicks Wiki (not like Wikipedia), ultimately breaking down every aspect/part of the P15 Nissan Kicks. But that's for later.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hey Everybody,

The Nissan Kicks is a fun car, but a significant limitation has been its lack of flush rails/roof side rails to allow for installing a roof rack. I own a 2021 Nissan Kicks S, and from the factory, the car came without flush rails/roof side rails; instead, the car had a black plastic piece covering where the silver flush rails/roof side rails would be. This has been a problem for many people, yet there aren't any solutions. So I decided to figure it out myself, and I did. Before I continue, I do want to mention I am not a mechanic and do not specialize in any car, merely a car owner who decided to do it themselves. I was able to get my hands on the official 2021 Nissan Kicks (P15) paperwork which provided me with complete instructions to dismantle the car, remove/install parts, etc. I then tried to install the flush rails/roof side rails myself. I was successful (though I had to redo it because I realized only after I forgot to order a piece.) The screw holes that hold the plastic cover are also designed to hold the flush rail/roof side rails, meaning it's entirely possible. However, Nissan decided to make the process extremely complicated and it took almost 10 hours of my time to do. For those who are still not discouraged, I have a complete list of all parts needed and full instructions on how to do it. It will take me a lot of time to compile everything into a neat manual, but I will do it if people are interested. Let me know, should I make the manual to install the flush rail/roof side rails or not?

Thank You.
I am very interested, were you able to prepare the manual? I deeply appreciate any help.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hey Everybody,

Thank You.
I am finding the same frustrating problem with the roof racks. I just purchased a 2022 Nissan Kicks S, and am wishing I got the SV because of the roof rack situation. I should have done more research. Have you made any progress on the manual? Thanks. I was thinking about ordering these: Side Roof Rails Rack fits for Nissan Kicks 2017-2022 Aluminum Roof Rail Silver | eBay

1 - 8 of 8 Posts