Nissan Kicks Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The Nissan Kicks debuted in Argentina this month and pricing has been released. The Kicks will be available for sale in July with pricing ranging from a base of 448,000 pesos to a top end of 490,000 pesos.

Argentina will receive two trim levels, Advance and Exclusive.

1.6L flex-fuel engine that produces 114hp @5600 and 152Nm of torque @4000. Base will receive a 5-speed manual and the Exclusive grade can get the Xtronic CVT.

Exclusive trim level comes with:
-17" wheels
-Leather seats
-360 degree camera
-Smart i-Key
-Push button start
-GPS Nav
-Stability control + Traction control
-Auto climate control

·
Registered
149 Posts
114hp doesn't seem like much, but I'll reserve me judgement until after automotive journalists releases drive reviews for it. For what you're getting with the Exclusive trim, may as well pay that difference, which I believe is less than $3000.

The three features that seals the deal for me is the 360 degree camera system, GPS Nav and Stability control + Traction control. Very useful features in colder weather and on weekend trips.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I won't really be looking that much towards how the journalists react to it because the way a car picks up and feels is very subjective to the individual. I'll have to wait until I can test it on my own to really make a judgement on what it's like but looking at 114hp, that's pretty darn weak.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Looking at the numbers, the Kicks seems a bit under-powered but that could change depending on the drive dynamics, its weight and where in the rpm range all the power and torque is made available.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
After drivetrain loss, we'll be looking at very close to 100hp if not a tad below that. If it were to have come to the US market, it wouldn't be able to stand up with the competition at all.

·
Registered
239 Posts
Looking at the numbers, the Kicks seems a bit under-powered but that could change depending on the drive dynamics, its weight and where in the rpm range all the power and torque is made available.
It comes down to driving a Kicks for ourselves since there are many variables. Transmission gear ratios for example could be one of the things that make up for a low power, lower displacement engine. Gearing is very important.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Gear ratios may give it a bit of better pickup and go but you still need the power behind it to get you anywhere. Shorter gears will make for a sportier ride feel but that's essentially it.

·
Registered
149 Posts
At least you won't be bored with shorter gears, pure power isn't everything and a fun drive can make buyers overlook the fact that it only has 114hp. Combine that with Stability control and Traction control and you have a sporty little car to throw around corners.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Shorter gears are definitely a lot of fun but it could get real tedious when driving around the city. If it was shorter gears and a car with some decent power, you could maybe start in second gear and jump to fourth.

·
Registered
149 Posts
The 114hp is definitely not what I would call decent when compared to sportier offerings from European brands. Guess the gears won't be all that short, but I'd go for the automatic option anyways.

·
Registered
239 Posts
XTRONIC CVT or something similar should do it, giving us tight enough control over the power all while still being efficient when we need to. Kicks is a commuter after all, we can't expect too much from it.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I'm really not fond of the whole CVT thing as it just doesn't feel good or drive great in my opinion. But unfortunately, majority of vehicles now are all coming with CVT transmissions so I'm just gonna have to suck it up.

·
Registered
239 Posts
how they tune these CVT's from vehicle to vehicle might be something to look into because sporty cars are getting them and in that application it has a lot to live up to.

best you try the Kicks, CVT in it might be for you.

·
Registered
58 Posts
On the bright side, CVT's can drive up hills seamlessly even though it may not be as responsive as its automatic and manual counterparts.

·
Registered
149 Posts
The difference between a CVT and automatic isn't really noticeable enough for most drivers unless you're sprinting down the road in a sports car. We'll hear how the Kick's CVT is tuned once drive reviews start pouring in.

·
Registered
239 Posts
When it comes to performance, CVT's can perform well anyways. It just comes down to how a car maker configures it and Lexus is a prime example of how good it can get.

“Engine power goes first to a two-motor planetary [CVT] like a regular hybrid would. MG1 [Motor-Generator 1] fixes the drive ratio, starts the engine, etc. while MG2 drives the wheels.

From the planetary, power goes to a conventional four-speed automatic [aka “Autobox”]. From there, it goes to the rear differential.

They do this because they’ve programmed the planetary to emulate fixed drive gears and never act like a CVT.

So planetary “gears” one, two, and three use AutoBox gear one.

Gears four, five, and six use Autobox gear two.

Gears seven, eight, and nine use Autobox gear three.

Gear 10 uses Autobox gear four.

If you pay close attention to the three-four shift (and six-seven, and nine-10), you’ll notice they feel different. They feel like a conventional automatic shift, whereas the one-two and two-three transitions feel like a CVT’s virtual ‘shift.’”

·
Registered
149 Posts
That's only if you pay very close attention and Lexus is a luxury brand, whereas the Kicks is more attainable for most.

·
Registered
239 Posts
That's only if you pay very close attention and Lexus is a luxury brand, whereas the Kicks is more attainable for most.
Main take away is that there's potential for CVT's that people might not have seen or don't believe is possible. Often I see people wanting more traditional automatic transmissions without realizing the potential here. As it stands, I am content with the Kicks CVT system.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts