Nissan Kicks Forum banner

New Problem!

85K views 100 replies 63 participants last post by  nigel.f.rose 
#1 ·
Hey all, I just learned of a new and irritating problem with the Kicks. I bought a 2018 Kicks SR a couple of months ago and enjoy the vehicle. As it has gotten cooler here in the Midwest I noticed a problem with the interior temperature. When the temp gauge is set at 60 or 61 degrees the system blows very cold air, as soon as the gauge is set to 62, the system starts blowing hot air, there is no way to get just warm air or to be comfortable. I took the vehicle for service yesterday and was told by the dealer (after two hours of trying to determine the problem) that it was just designed that way. They indicated that there were several other complaints in the system for the same issue and they found that the system was designed to fully open the heater blend door at 63 degrees. This effectively means that you can set it at 60-62 degrees and be cold or set it at 63 degrees which is the same thing as 90 degrees, full open blend door. The dealer stated that there is no way to make a fix to this, but rather, Nissan has to provide a fix and will only do so if they receive enough customer complaints.

I'm curious if anyone else is experiencing the same thing and noticing that they can not find a comfortable temperature? If you do, I ask that you log a complaint so Nissan will provide a fix to the dealers. My dealer admitted that it was a design flaw and should not be this way.

See less See more
#3 ·
Does the problem occur in auto or manual mode?
I have an SR, don't seem to have any problems being comfortable. Then again, I usually set it between 66 to 68.
I did notice that the fan speed is not linked in automatic mode. It has to be manually set.

#4 ·
I suspect I does this in auto mode , have an SR as well, and also a jeep, When the jeep is in auto does the same goes cold even when set at one temp put on manual and heat comes back.
I run the SR in manual mostly so not noted this problem.
Maybe the temp sensor has to cool down before it starts to allow heating again.
Have my one set at 21c and always nice and warm even when -18c outside.

#5 ·
I noticed the same issue... I can't stand to be in the car above 62 degrees... But I did notice that after the car has been running a while, and if it is cold outside, I'll juice the temperature to 65-68. Thankfully, the engine heats up quickly! :)

I also noticed that in the summer, the air conditioning doesn't get "ice cold." I keep the air set on "auto" at 60 during the warm months.

My husband noticed the same issues in his Kicks, too.

Next time I'm in for service, I'll mention it to my garage. Can't hurt!

#9 ·
Having the same issue in my kicks SV 61 cold 62 and up is 90 degrees. took it back to the dealership (Michael Jordan Nissan) three times they replaced a sensor on one occasion then replaced a sensor board the second time after that didn't work the third time i left the car there to wait for a Nissan tech to come inspect it. in hope that they would bye back the car so i can have a vehicle that works 100%. simple right!!! the car was sitting at the dealership for almost 2 months waiting for the Nissan tech to come and inspect it only for them to tell me it is operating as it is designed. they offered me $1500 dollars as a settlement for the inconvenience and for the repairs made on the car already that weren't needed. in turn i would have to agree not to sue them at any point in the future. and i'm still stuck with a car that doesn't work. has this happen to any one else?

#10 ·
have the same problem with my kicks sv. at 61degrees it is cold and 62 and up it is 90 degrees. after the first week i took it back to the dealership (Michael Jordan Nissan). the first visit they replaced a sensor, the second visit they replace a sensor board. still didn't work. after they contacted Nissan they told me to call Nissan direct because they couldn't figure it out. i had to go thru arbitration because i didn't want a car that isn't 100%. Nissan said they would have to send there own tech for an inspection in order to determine if they would buy back the car. the next appointment they had available was in 2 months. thankfully MJnissan gave me a rental. 2 months goes by, their tech comes with me there and sees the same issues i was complaining about and tries to tell me this is normal and reports to Nissan that it is operating as it is designed. they denied my arbitration request to get another vehicle. they offered me a settlement of $1500 dollars for my inconvenience and for the repairs and if i accepted in turn i would have to agree to not sue them. and i am stuck with a car that you cant control the temperature. has this happened with anyone else? and no i did not take the settlement.

#11 ·
Setting the temperature at 61 is seems quite low, at what set temperature does the HVAC start operating properly? Some cars don't have a very wide range of operating set temperatures. Our Honda can only go from 64 to 90. Anywhere beyond that, you are on your own.

#12 ·
Hi I am also a new owner of a Nissan Kicks SV. I also live in the Midwest and experience the same problem. It gets really hot when the temperature it is above 62 F. My wife drives a 2018 Honda Pilot and we can't adjust the temperature above 64 F. It gets really hot in the winter time.

#28 ·
I guess they fixed the problem because I have a 2019 with no issues at any setting #s
I have a 2019, but the auto temperature settings are still not very accurate, end up switch to manual and cranking up the AC fan most of the time. I have noticed that the AC compressor kicks on and off a lot, I hear the click and less than a minute later another click a few minutes later again. Very random and frequent. Is it normal for this car? My other cars have never done this.
I'm glad I have the S with the old fashion knobs!?
I've had my 2019 SV for a couple weeks now and we're in the midst of a hot summer here in the Chicago area, and the only complaint I have is that the AC doesn't get cool as quickly or constantly when idling, especially if the car has been parked without the sunshade put up behind our windshield. So what I'm saying is it's only at its worst when starting from parked while it's been in the hot sun for a couple hours. But when the car is actually running and up to traffic speed it does cool acceptably, then after we idle it after that (been running on the road for a few minutes) it's also cooling fine. So it may take a while but I don't really have any reason to complain. My wife and I keep the setting at 60 degrees and the fan at a couple notches up at most.

The compressor kicking in quite a bit is normal in my opinion. My other cars do it particularly if there's a call for refrigerant to keep the car cool.

At what miles did you all start having problems? Our SV is just approaching 500 miles on the odometer. Also, do the 2019 S's still have the knobs or are they also digital now?

#14 ·
Been noticing also that when set to lower temps even on manual appears that that the AC comes on.
Had it set down to 18 AC turned off, on manual, started to get very cold inside car, put my hand in front of vent and much colder than outside temp coming in.
Turned up just one degree to 19 and could feel heat,
Turned off the heater and the cold air went to what to me felt like outside temp air.

#17 ·
I have the exact same issue. Took it into the dealer and they said they have 2 other Kicks doing the same thing. The dealer agrees this is a real problem, but is waiting to hear from Nissan about what to do about it. I think we should all call/email Nissan directly to increase the urgency on a fix.

#18 ·
I have the exact same problem. Dealer just confirmed the issue, and said 2 other kicks on their lot also have the problem. They reached out to Nissan, but are still waiting to hear back. I suggest everyone calls Nissan Consumer Affairs to try to increase the urgency of a fix: 1-800-647-7261

#20 ·
I have a 2019, but the auto temperature settings are still not very accurate, end up switch to manual and cranking up the AC fan most of the time. I have noticed that the AC compressor kicks on and off a lot, I hear the click and less than a minute later another click a few minutes later again. Very random and frequent. Is it normal for this car? My other cars have never done this.

#21 ·
Are you sure it's the AC I hear something silmilar, but my heater/ac is turned off.
I stop end of my drive get out to open a gate, then I hear something click in, then out and engine note changes.
Maybe electric pump for power steering, if not the heater has mind of its own.!,,,,,!.
Based on the issue some are having, It's way to completed system to heat or cool and car.

#23 ·
AC systems can vary how they work I am a truck mechanic by trade and some have system that measured temps in and out the evaporator a ecm then cycles the ac clutch, like maybe 30 secs on then 15 secs on the off again, so maybe it's a more complex system.
Think the drivers manual lacks lot of detail or is wrong as 100 % my AC comes on even on manual mode and the AC turned off.
Seems like only difference between manual and auto is it controls the blower fan speed and vent position.
If have temp set at one temp and get sun heating when vehicle is parked when I start vehicle the ac comes on until it cools down to set temp.
Work nice, but I have no manual control.

#24 ·
I bought my Kicks back in Jan and was having the same issue. I took it to my dealership because my heat was either melt your face off hot or nonexistent. After a bunch of testing and running around they basically said that it was a poor design and would hopefully be fixed in later models.
They said the same about the low gas mileage I was getting. They also said that the Kicks stats were not based on someone driving in the PNW where we have weather and hills.

#25 ·
All - I want to report my sons SR has the same problem. I also had a Nissan Titan Platinum that had the exact same issue and got rid of it because of that same reason, living in the South I just couldn't deal with freezing, or burning up in the summer, but I took a huge loss in depreciation to trade out of that truck. There was no in-between. It was either freezing cold, or hot, which in the summer really sucks.

Nissan has done a very poor job with their A/C systems, because every other car I've ever owned had a pretty big and comfortable temperature range for either cooling or heating. What's the point of having a dial that ranges from 60-90 when you only offering two settings? If this bothers enough people, perhaps a class-action lawsuit is in order. I know for a fact this is a problem on at least two brand new Nissan vehicles.

#33 ·
I've tried returning the car, they refuse to take it back. This is my first new car and nothing but problems since I bought it 1 month ago. Please call Nissan to complain. This is not normal. Judging my the many people that have this problem, it seems that Nissan is well aware of it since 2018 and continued to sell the 2019's with this same defect.