Nissan Kicks Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The Nissan Kicks will go on sale in Canada this summer and it'll be replacing the popular Juke. Only time will tell if people will go for the 1.6L four-cylinder subcompact SUV or if they'll prefer the more unique looking Juke. Not sure if the Canada Spec Kicks will come with standard features suited to the colder weather.

·
Registered
149 Posts
it's hard to say how well the Kicks will do as a Juke replacement because it's simply not as unique looking, though I'm not calling it plain in any way. There were those who went for the Juke simply because of its looks and those buyers may not go for the Kicks even if it has a decent 1.6L four-cylinder engine.

·
Registered
239 Posts
I think Nissan will regret it because if you compare how "fun" the Kicks comes off as compared to the Juke, it shows how tough of a time the Kicks can have on the market.
Still I will be interested in seeing how sales go, maybe I will be wrong.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Interesting that they have opted the replace the Juke, when as far as I know its been selling quite well. And I hope this means that we can expect a similar performance level trim, like what's found in the Juke Nismo S. Although I understand them not wanting to offer several subcompacts, I'm not exactly sure they appeal to the same consumers.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I think the Kicks is going for mall appeal more than performance. Sure there's more profit to be made with trims like the Juke Nismo S, but that's a small group buying those whereas the standard Kicks will sell more. But I do understand why you don't think it's necessary to outright replace the Juke when it sold so well. That point still baffles me as it's a very appealing car IMHO and unique compared to what else is out there.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Yeah I think its quirky styling and design is exactly what led to its success, so the fact that they have chosen to replace it with something much more traditional is odd. Although as you've suggested its probably in an attempt to appeal to the masses. I'm hoping if we don't see the same sort of high performance trim options, that we at least get to choose the secondary color that's found on the roof, wheels and diffusers.

·
Registered
39 Posts
The Juke was never a huge seller. Then it dropped 50% from 2014 to 2016. Time for a replace.

Year Nissan Juke

U.S. Sales................. Canadian Sales
2010 8639 ................ 825
2011 35,886.............. 4586
2012 36,358.............. 3738
2013 38,157............... 4077
2014 38,184.............. 3641
2015 27,121............. 4473
2016 19,577............. 4442
2017 10,157.............. 1900
2018 190 ................ 0

·
Registered
239 Posts
Lucky for Nissan they had the luxury of seeing other car makers like Chevy, Toyota Kia and so on get into this segment and prove what can do well.
I bet if Renault was in America we would see them launch the Kicks instead of Nissan since they both share a platform, but the Renault is nicer IMO.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Lucky for Nissan they had the luxury of seeing other car makers like Chevy, Toyota Kia and so on get into this segment and prove what can do well.
I bet if Renault was in America we would see them launch the Kicks instead of Nissan since they both share a platform, but the Renault is nicer IMO.
I was not aware the Renault and Nissan were built on the same platform. I see they have an alliance, but I think the Kicks was designed before that happened. Also I thought that alliance was more about producing electric cars together.

·
Registered
77 Posts
I had no idea the sales of the Juke were in such a decline, and now that I do, its obvious why Nissan has opted to replace it. I hope down the line, we get more than the one 125hp engine and CVT, as well as an AWD system that was available on the Juke.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I am betting you will see souped up versions later, but for now a great gas mileage car will make a good introductory splash.

·
Registered
77 Posts
They could probably just offer a turbocharged version of the engine and that would provide the necessary boost to power. I still think they should have considered an AWD system, as thats a popular feature in all these new CUV's.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts