Nissan Kicks Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is there a class action thread for people so dissatisfied with their Kicks experience, and after receiving no satisfaction from Nissan dealers or Nissan Corporation that they have no choice but to sue to get the money they wasted on their car? Surely consumers/victims are piling up. I know this forum isn't very active, is it because people feel so hoodwinked that they are still in shock over being robbed? My local dealership has completely stopped selling new Kicks. I wonder why? Has a fund for victims been established or do I have to start a gofundme page to drum up money for a high powered attorney?

·
Registered
2020 Nissan Kicks SV
61 Posts
I know there was a guy trying to start a class action for the accent light, but I do not think there is a thread yet.
Based on all the research I did prior to buying my kicks it is exactly what I was expecting. I do not see how anyone would be "hoodwinked" into purchasing the car, unless of course the sales rep was a tool. I do see way more complaints for the 2021's though.

Looking over a lot of the negative threads made me realize that some people may have false expectations of the car. Sure it looks like an SUV/CUV, but it is actually just a honda fit with a facelift. Nissan also literally only advertises the car as a city runner, traveling 50km/h or less in stop and go traffic. If you need extra OOMPH, engage "sport" mode and do not be afraid to hear the engine growl like the lion cub it is.

I am curious to know your story on how you got hoodwinked into your car. What your expectations were, and areas about the car that leave you dissatisfied.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I have a 2020 SR and besides the faulty rear sensor that was replaced at no cost, I have not had any problems with it at all. The Kicks is a fresh new look on a basic ass car. It's dirt cheap and gets from point A to point B. I took my trusty stead from San Diego to Yosemite through rain shine and even snow! At some point, I was laughing because even though it's a dink CUV I was outperforming some guys with "Nice" trucks trying no to scrap the bumper meanwhile I was mobbing over the molehills I felt like a tough guy in my mini SUV xD.

SP3CTRYS said it best... without knowing your story it's hard to understand your frustration but from experience, I love my Kicks!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Is there a class action thread for people so dissatisfied with their Kicks experience, and after receiving no satisfaction from Nissan dealers or Nissan Corporation that they have no choice but to sue to get the money they wasted on their car? Surely consumers/victims are piling up. I know this forum isn't very active, is it because people feel so hoodwinked that they are still in shock over being robbed? My local dealership has completely stopped selling new Kicks. I wonder why? Has a fund for victims been established or do I have to start a gofundme page to drum up money for a high powered attorney?
Not sure if you're kidding, or if are trying to open a class action lawsuit based on the fact that you just don't like the car?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
I know there was a guy trying to start a class action for the accent light, but I do not think there is a thread yet.
Based on all the research I did prior to buying my kicks it is exactly what I was expecting. I do not see how anyone would be "hoodwinked" into purchasing the car, unless of course the sales rep was a tool. I do see way more complaints for the 2021's though.

Looking over a lot of the negative threads made me realize that some people may have false expectations of the car. Sure it looks like an SUV/CUV, but it is actually just a honda fit with a facelift. Nissan also literally only advertises the car as a city runner, traveling 50km/h or less in stop and go traffic. If you need extra OOMPH, engage "sport" mode and do not be afraid to hear the engine growl like the lion cub it is.

I am curious to know your story on how you got hoodwinked into your car. What your expectations were, and areas about the car that leave you dissatisfied.
The car was purchased during the height of the pandemic, before there were vaccines. I tried to find a dealer nearby so that I could test drive it, but the nearest dealership was not allowing customers to come in, or to test drive vehicles. Granted, this was an unprecedented event, and nobody knew how COVID was going to shake out. I found a dealership about 300 miles away, that WOULD let me take a test drive, if I put a down payment on it first. This particular dealership had hundreds of new cars on their lot -- in other words, "motivated" to sell. I researched it before I put any money down on the thing, and the one I was interested in was a base model. The only real differences between that model and the others is finish and accessories. Engine was the same, and I kind of liked having smaller tires because that would mean that "some day" (if I put enough miles on it) I would spend less paying for tires. It had 4 cylinders, which was a plus compared to the price range of other cars that only have 3 (!!). I travel a lot through mountain areas, and with 3 cylinders I envisioned myself having to get out and drag it by a rope over the highest hills. I was a less than thrilled by the CVT, and the steel wheels which you could see from the ads, would end up looking like crap before long. The dealer, by phone, was trying to sell me on the price alone, which had been drastically reduced due to pandemic walk-in customers being ZERO. He said I would have to sit behind the wheel to really feel the smoothness of the CVT ride and the design of the car which is supposed to improve MPG by ... I dunno ... angled windshield like every other car has? The car I was driving at the time needed over 5K in maintenance to stay roadworthy. I told the dealer that I have always maintained my cars well and always get at least 200k out of them, which is what my current ride had. I wanted something comparable. I was at the point of doing maintenance that might get me 50k more miles out of my car, or buying something new and the freedom of having another car that would get at least 200k before costing me $5k in maintenance. He reassured me that this car would be the one! The fact that it's a fairly new model, with no long-term reports to go by ... I'm no idiot. I can tell you that Toyotas, Chevys, and Chrysler will get you at least 200k because I have gotten that much out of each of those named brands. Road tested, by me. The only Nissan I've ever known to get over 100k was my dad's, and he had to put a new rack and pinion in it before that car was paid off. I told the dealer that story but he said, oh that was 20 years ago, and parts have gotten more precise and you will never need to replace a rack on a new Nissan bought in the 2020's, etc. This is all conjecture because the Kicks doesn't have even a 5 year history. I made a down payment by credit card, after being reassured that the money would be fully refunded if, after taking a test drive, I didn't want the car. I went there and drove it, but because of the pandemic they were only allowing 2 miles of driving because you had to have a salesman with you (both of us masked) but they wanted to limit the amount of exposure time to each other. So, the salesman had me drive down a road that had practically no traffic, where I could get a feel for the CVT and how it performed. It was kind of sluggish getting up to 50 MPH (max speed on that road) but he said after the break-in period it would smooth out. I never took it on the highway and never took it up a hill, and after ten minutes we were back at the dealership. I inspected the car all over, and didn't see any glaring defects. The seats were cheap polyester over foam, the carpets were the same material, and the other trim was all plastic. I was never warned not to touch the wiring harnesses that drag underneath both front seats, nor was I informed that if I ever did touch them I would void the airbag warranty. (And yes, the service advisor who basically YELLED at me for having touched it, said caused it to spontaneously come unclipped, that he would do the repair under warranty THIS TIME but NEXT TIME it was on ME and that it could end up costing me $4k. I might have accidentally tape recorded that event. Or maybe on purpose.) In the owner's manual it does mention something about not putting anything under the seats, but it doesn't say if touching the harness voids the warranty or that it would cost $4k. As for the spontaneous unclipping of the air bag harness, it seems like a pretty severe manufacturer's defect if they can't make a clip that can't grow hands and unclip it if somebody gets near it. But of course, he said it was because I reached down to grab something that fell under the seat. ANYWAY... yeah I know the dealer was "motivated" to sell and I was "needing a car". I could forgive the brake light intermittently going off for no reason. I could forgive the front end for not having the good sense to let me pull up within 2 feet of a curb. And I could forgive the service adviser's rudeness. I could almost forgive the gutless uphill battle every time I came up that little bitty hill I lived on top of. But what I couldn't forgive, after only the SECOND oil change, I had to get it looked at for another issue. I didn't take it to that dealership I bought for. I took it to the one that was closer to me, since pandemic rules had softened. The grinding noise in the rear end that sounded like rocks in a garbage disposal had gotten worse. I videotaped it happening, in case they couldn't replicate it. The service tech couldn't replicate it either but at least he put it on a lift and checked it out. He could find no rear end damage, as if I drove over a body and it was dragging beneath me. But what he found up front was a badly leaking oil pump o-ring. He asked if I had been leaking oil. I wasn't. He showed me where the oil was smeared all over the oil pump area. I went to the service adviser and asked if there was a recall or a service bulletin on this, and he said no. O-rings are "old car" problems. And the one thing that goes hand in hand with leaking o-rings is severe engine damage. With only a 36k warranty, this car was proving it was going to cost me a **** load of money at 3 years, and my payments were supposed to last for 5 years. At that point I knew I could not, would not, keep that car for a second longer than I had to. In the midst of having that experience, I had to relocate about 800 miles away and hope my car would get me there. At that point, it was around December when I started surveying the car sales situation. Now, with fewer new cars being made due to parts shortages, and used car sales skyrocketing, I was in the opposite situation when I bought the Kicks. What I did was sold the Nissan for $5k more than I spent for it, paid off the loan and used the remainder to buy something new, from a reliable carmaker that I know and trust. I will never trust Nissan again. O-rings ... those are supposed to last as long as the engine. So I knew where I was headed with that turd. So ends my saga of the Nissan Kicks.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts