Nissan Kicks Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all. I replaced my wheels from the original 6.5 to a 7.5width like a month ago, then i notice recently that whenever my speed reaches to 100kph, the RPM suddenly increase. 205/55/R17 is the size of my tyre. that was the tyre of my original 6.5width. Could it be the issue, or theres something else.

Thanks
Jomel

·
Premium Member
2021 Nissan Kicks S
18 Posts
Hey,

If you want to change out the rims, then you're going to need to change the wheels as well. If you wanted newer rims for looks but not for a size change, then the rims must match the tires. I would not recommend doing this as it puts your safety at risk. The rim and the tire must have the same internal diameter. So, you can replace the rims with something that will fit the tire or replace the tire to fit the new rims.

Good Luck.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hey,

If you want to change out the rims, then you're going to need to change the wheels as well. If you wanted newer rims for looks but not for a size change, then the rims must match the tires. I would not recommend doing this as it puts your safety at risk. The rim and the tire must have the same internal diameter. So, you can replace the rims with something that will fit the tire or replace the tire to fit the new rims.

Good Luck.
Thank you sir. Yes, the diameter remains the same which is 17'', only the widht from 6.5 in stock , i changed to 7.5..After changing to the new tyre, 215/55 R17, the issue remains the same. Its shows someting like this in the video.

·
Premium Member
2021 Nissan Kicks S
18 Posts
Thank you sir. Yes, the diameter remains the same which is 17'', only the widht from 6.5 in stock , i changed to 7.5..After changing to the new tyre, 215/55 R17, the issue remains the same. Its shows someting like this in the video.
Hey,

If the diameter is the same, your new rims with a different width need a tire that fits appropriately. Think of it as a shoe; if you were size ten and put on a size twelve shoe, the shoe will be loose on your foot; The shoe size must be appropriate to the size of the foot. But the tire change you made didn't do much to help solve your problem. So here's a quick breakdown (I bolded what's essential for this problem):

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Important to Know
Tire Number/Code Breakdown:
Example Tire - 205/55 R 17 94 V
205 - Section Width in mm
55 - Aspect Ratio
R - Radial Construction (Rim)
17 - Rim Diameter in inches
94 - Load Index
V - Speed Rating

Rim Diameter: 17
Rim with 6.5in Width:
If the rim width in inches is 6.5, then the tire size (Section Width/Aspect Ratio) must be 195/45, 205/50, 205/55, 215/60, etc.

Rim Diameter: 17
Rim with 7.5in Width:
If the rim width in inches is 7.5, then the tire size (Section Width/Aspect Ratio) must be 205/30, 205/35, 205/40, 215/30, 215/35, 215/40, skip some (not necessary in this problem), 235/50, 235/55, 245/50, 245/55, etc.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So with this understanding, 205/55 R17 tires will not work well for rims that have a width of 7.5 inches, and 215/55 R17 tires will also not work well with rims that have a width of 7.5 inches (somebody sold you the wrong tires.) For safety reasons and possibly solving this problem, replace your tires with tires that fit a 7.5-inch rim width. So, for example, for your 7.5-inch rims, you can add 245/55 R17 tires. I hope this clears some things up.

Good Luck.

·
Premium Member
2021 Nissan Kicks S
18 Posts
The rim weight will affect the cars performance. If the new rims weigh more, a higher RPM is probably fine.
I agree, plus CVT does reach a high RPM when accelerating, so it doesn't seem like anything to worry about. But the new tire they have is meant to fit a rim with a width of 7 inches and not 7.5 inches like the rims they have installed. Just for safety reasons, I would strongly recommend replacing the tires. Whoever sold you those tires should provide the opportunity to swap for free.

·
Registered
43 Posts
I’m
Hi all. I replaced my wheels from the original 6.5 to a 7.5width like a month ago, then i notice recently that whenever my speed reaches to 100kph, the RPM suddenly increase. 205/55/R17 is the size of my tyre. that was the tyre of my original 6.5width. Could it be the issue, or theres something else.

Thanks
Jomel

depending on your tire size you may have increased your wheel RPM giving a wrong reading on your speedometer

for 7.5 inch wheels you want to use 225/50R17 for an identical match for our 205/55/R17. This will result in a .03 MPH difference at 60 MPH.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts