Nissan Kicks Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
2021 Nissan Kicks S
16 Posts
Hey,

Well, congratulations, welcome to the club. I've had the 2018 Nissan Kicks and now have the 2021 Nissan Kicks. In terms of reliability, it's a simple Nissan car, except what you would expect from a Nissan. By that, I mean everything should be ok; it'll get you from point A to point B. The only things that may break early are some plastic pieces, which is a given as they use cheap plastic, I've had the sun visor clip break, but the replacement was only a couple of dollars. Mechanically, Nissan produces some reliable engines, and it should last you a while. Plus, it's a simple four-cylinder; you're not racing in this car, so the engine has a more "relaxed" life. Though I will add that the only mechanical problem I've heard in Nissan cars, such as the kicks, is the CVT transmission not working correctly or at all (this is rare) and is usually visible early on and covered by warranty. In addition, from what I've seen/heard, the Nissan Kicks seems to have a life of about four years currently I've noticed a lot of people having some problems with their 2018 Nissan Kicks, so it looks like after a couple of years, the cost-cutting qualities start to shine a bit too bright. Other things to consider include:

1. After-market parts are super limited or don't even exist due to the low sales of the Nissan Kicks in the United States and low demand for after-market parts.
  2. This engine tries its best; it's a simple engine with 122 hp with slow acceleration and a pedal with some response delay (I have found a working throttle control to fix this). It pushes, but it has its limits, especially on highways/passing people.
  3. There is not much information online; by that, I mean not many guides or videos to help diagnose, work, or understand the Nissan Kicks.
  4. The Nissan Kicks community does not exist; there are people but nothing like other car communities. So don't expect next-day or same-day responses and don't expect much information on anything Nissan Kicks-related.
  5. For all Cars This doesn't only apply to the Nissan Kicks but instead all cars. Beware of car dealerships for repairs or diagnosis of your car.
  6. Suspension is a bit soft, so be sure to keep that in mind.
  7. Steering and handling are pretty good, I've done some crazy sharp turns, and the Nissan Kicks handled them well. But the factory tires are ok and could be replaced with something better to improve handling/breaking.
  8. The Offical Nissan Parts Store could be better; it's good in some aspects, but some products have wrong images, no descriptions, and things can get confusing. So make sure always to double-check before ordering, just in case.
That's it, for me. I can't think of anything else off the top of my head. It's a good car, and they recently have done a fantastic exterior/interior facelift for the car. So enjoy it; it's spacious, has excellent fuel economy, and is comfortable—honestly, a perfect daily car for any person anywhere. I hope this helps.

Good Luck.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hey,

Well, congratulations, welcome to the club. I've had the 2018 Nissan Kicks and now have the 2021 Nissan Kicks. In terms of reliability, it's a simple Nissan car, except what you would expect from a Nissan. By that, I mean everything should be ok; it'll get you from point A to point B. The only things that may break early are some plastic pieces, which is a given as they use cheap plastic, I've had the sun visor clip break, but the replacement was only a couple of dollars. Mechanically, Nissan produces some reliable engines, and it should last you a while. Plus, it's a simple four-cylinder; you're not racing in this car, so the engine has a more "relaxed" life. Though I will add that the only mechanical problem I've heard in Nissan cars, such as the kicks, is the CVT transmission not working correctly or at all (this is rare) and is usually visible early on and covered by warranty. In addition, from what I've seen/heard, the Nissan Kicks seems to have a life of about four years currently I've noticed a lot of people having some problems with their 2018 Nissan Kicks, so it looks like after a couple of years, the cost-cutting qualities start to shine a bit too bright. Other things to consider include:

1. After-market parts are super limited or don't even exist due to the low sales of the Nissan Kicks in the United States and low demand for after-market parts.
  2. This engine tries its best; it's a simple engine with 122 hp with slow acceleration and a pedal with some response delay (I have found a working throttle control to fix this). It pushes, but it has its limits, especially on highways/passing people.
  3. There is not much information online; by that, I mean not many guides or videos to help diagnose, work, or understand the Nissan Kicks.
  4. The Nissan Kicks community does not exist; there are people but nothing like other car communities. So don't expect next-day or same-day responses and don't expect much information on anything Nissan Kicks-related.
  5. For all Cars This doesn't only apply to the Nissan Kicks but instead all cars. Beware of car dealerships for repairs or diagnosis of your car.
  7. Steering and handling are pretty good, I've done some crazy sharp turns, and the Nissan Kicks handled them well. But the factory tires are ok and could be replaced with something better to improve handling/breaking.
  8. The Offical Nissan Parts Store could be better; it's good in some aspects, but some products have wrong images, no descriptions, and things can get confusing. So make sure always to double-check before ordering, just in case.
That's it, for me. I can't think of anything else off the top of my head. It's a good car, and they recently have done a fantastic exterior/interior facelift for the car. So enjoy it; it's spacious, has excellent fuel economy, and is comfortable—honestly, a perfect daily car for any person anywhere. I hope this helps.

Good Luck.
[/QUOTE]
Thank you very much . I traded in my wrangler in and so far this is really nice. I really love it so far.
It’s more comfortable and better gas mileage. I am very pleased and Nissan wasn’t affected by the chip shortage as much as the other cars. That was what brought me to Nissan . I love the ride and I think it has plenty of power. It’s not a race car lol..
Thank you for your input it is appreciated.

·
Registered
2020 Nissan Kicks SV
52 Posts
I have close to 28,000km on mine, and I have loved every minute of it. The fuel efficiency and CUV styling works for my needs. In sport mode I find the throttle is WAY better.
I take mine off road every weekend to get to fishing/hunting spots too and no issues with muddy logging roads or some light trails.

Ditched the factory tires at the start of winter when I found out they were glorified summer flip-flops. Maxxis makes some incredible and affordable tires (AP3). I was able to tighten up and speed up my spirited driving habits. Still not a race car, but way more fun to drive with limited understeer even in the rain.

Keep your expectations realistic and you will not be disappointed. As for reliability, I have not had a single malfunction, with the exception of the car getting blinded in bright conditions and the crash avoidance system disables itself.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I just purchased a 2022 Kicks. What has been your experience? Is it a good car?
2020 SR. 12k miles. Absolutely insane fuel economy (driving in the 60s). GAS PRICE NEWS is not going to stress you out believe me. Reliability has been great. Very nice profile (height from ground) of Kicks has made me immune to road debris which used to clank against the underside in my Maxima. Very satisfied for its class.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thank you for your input. .. This is my first Nissan and I get around 38mpg highway. I bought it because I needed better fuel economy. I was driving a Jeep Wrangler before that got 20pmg.
I commute 80 miles round trip daily. I find it has more pep and power than my jk wrangler I traded it in for which I am very pleased. It is very smooth and I love the apple play. I really like it.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Thank you for your input. .. This is my first Nissan and I get around 38mpg highway. I bought it because I needed better fuel economy. I was driving a Jeep Wrangler before that got 20pmg.
I commute 80 miles round trip daily. I find it has more pep and power than my jk wrangler I traded it in for which I am very pleased. It is very smooth and I love the apple play. I really like it.
Very true. It feels good to drive in a big box retailer gas station where people are waiting in line and just pay mid $20s to fill a tank and walk away. I have noticed the trick to consistent >37mpg mileage is to drive in the spread of 60-65mph hwy. I also use cruise control. The sport mode gives you power when you need it, but costly. I am not missing my Maxima one little bit.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Congrats
I just purchased a 2022 Kicks. What has been your experience? Is it a good car?
Congrats to you! I have a 2019 Kicks and its been a great car for me. great gas mileage, on hiway trips I would frequently get 40mpg. The only real problem I ever had was the entertainment system behaving a bit squirrely but a re-programming (no cost to me) at the dealer fixed that. My lease on this is up in July and I'm thinking of just buying it outright. I thought about leasing/buying a 2022 model, but the dealers in my Northeastern PA area seem to have very few on their lots. I don't know if its the chip shortage/Covid situation, but I noticed a very limited availability of every manufacturer's subcompact SUVs in my local area.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Congrats

Congrats to you! I have a 2019 Kicks and its been a great car for me. great gas mileage, on hiway trips I would frequently get 40mpg. The only real problem I ever had was the entertainment system behaving a bit squirrely but a re-programming (no cost to me) at the dealer fixed that. My lease on this is up in July and I'm thinking of just buying it outright. I thought about leasing/buying a 2022 model, but the dealers in my Northeastern PA area seem to have very few on their lots. I don't know if its the chip shortage/Covid situation, but I noticed a very limited availability of every manufacturer's subcompact SUVs in my local area.
Thank you for your input. I like it a lot too. In Massachusetts it’s one of the very few cars that the dealerships have in stock.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hey,

Good Luck.
Thank you very much . I traded in my wrangler in and so far this is really nice. I really love it so far.
It’s more comfortable and better gas mileage. I am very pleased and Nissan wasn’t affected by the chip shortage as much as the other cars. That was what brought me to Nissan . I love the ride and I think it has plenty of power. It’s not a race car lol..
[/QUOTE]
Worse car I have ever purchased censors go off all the time and after inspection nothing wrong , a lot of times when trying to pull off there is nothing no revs no movement it just rolls , already replaced transmission , tried to get rotors and was told they are back order and could take months to get them , good mpg thou got 45mpg on long hauls , talking of sensors when it rains my from sensor flashes , if I go over 60 my tpms goes off , I've had such a bad experience I am thinking of handing the car back and never buying any Nissan ever again , btw I have a Nissan Kicks Sv 2019

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Worse car I have ever purchased censors go off all the time and after inspection nothing wrong , a lot of times when trying to pull off there is nothing no revs no movement it just rolls , already replaced transmission , tried to get rotors and was told they are back order and could take months to get them , good mpg thou got 45mpg on long hauls , talking of sensors when it rains my from sensor flashes , if I go over 60 my tpms goes off , I've had such a bad experience I am thinking of handing the car back and never buying any Nissan ever again , btw I have a Nissan Kicks Sv 2019
[/QUOTE]
Sorry to hear about the problems.. How many miles on it?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I have 10K miles on my 2019. No issues at all with the car. Really glad I bought it now that gas prices are stupid high. Even with the tiny gas tank, I don't fill up often.
Yes I bought mine for my long commute to work round trip I drive 100 miles daily it costs me $50 weekly for that. My Jeep it was costing me double.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts