Nissan Kicks Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

Nissan Canada has just announced official pricing for the different trim levels of the Kicks. Three versions of the new model will be offered at launch.

S (base model)- $17,998
SV- $20, 898
SR- $22,798

All trim levels will be offered only with FWD and will come with the same 1.6L, 4 cylinder engine putting out 125hp and 115-lb ft of torque. It will also launch in 5 different colors, along with 5 different two tone colour schemes.

·
Registered
239 Posts
If it wasn't for the Versa Note I would be suggesting that pricing be lower and that might actually be the case if Nissan follows in Fords footsteps. Recently Ford announced that they will get rid of all passenger sedans they offer right now, even models like the Fiesta. Versa Note isn't far off from being a Fiesta rival.

·
Registered
58 Posts
The base model is already going for just $17,998 and that's before you try to haggle for below MSRP deal. Don't think it can be any lower before they don't make a profit. Seems like there's more of a premium put on SUVs and crossovers, this why the Versa Note costs a few thousand less.

·
Registered
239 Posts
I guess you have a point and compared to the Honda HR-V it does well at undercutting. HR-V in Canada starts from $21,000 which is already a lot. Someone looking for the best value possible might end up with a base Kicks. I can see that being the case for car sharing services.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
There aren't many rivals that can complete with the Kicks base price, aside from maybe the Kia Soul (which is still more expensive). I think we can all agree that the styling there leaves a lot to be desired though. There is also far more customization in the Kick, with all the different color schemes you can choose from. You're getting a lot of value for the money here.

·
Registered
58 Posts
That is probably what Nissan was going for, value for what you pay. I believe the UK reviews praise it for it's build quality and it's ride. Not something you'd expect from a $17,998 vehicle. Glad they didn't go turbo too, or else we'll be paying out the nose for premium gas right now.

·
Registered
239 Posts
There aren't many rivals that can complete with the Kicks base price, aside from maybe the Kia Soul (which is still more expensive). I think we can all agree that the styling there leaves a lot to be desired though. There is also far more customization in the Kick, with all the different color schemes you can choose from. You're getting a lot of value for the money here.
Don't forget about the Kona which while a bit more at $19k is still within range of what most would consider to be affordable. When you break it down into a month by month cost breakdown the difference is easy to absorb. Plus its a much nicer product. Kona is a winner in my books.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Replacing a 2004 Mazda 3 Hatch currently, and looked at all these vehicles and the Veloster.

• Kicks price range is considerable smaller the Kona, Soul, & Veloster.
  • Kicks has more features standard the both Kona, Soul, & Veloster.
  • Kona and Soul have much great discounts than Kicks at this time.

Each vehicle lies on its starting price.

• Adjust the Kicks by up $385 to cover splash guards, floor mats, and cargo mats.
  • Hyundai is selling $80 lock lugs on every car and more affordable floor mats.
  • 2019 Veloster has a huge artificial price increase vs gen 1 models.
  • etc.

I could probably buy a Kona cheaper than a kicks with cashback, aged inventory, Boost, & Uber incentives: $2k to $2.5k in total.
However Nissan is offer 0% for 60 months, so its more competitive.

Options

• Option wise the Kicks upgrades contain no posion pills for me minus a dislike in SR trim adding the silver swoosh on the lower door.
  • The Kona does not offer two tone colors in their top Model.
  • Soul add on packages some times can not coexist on a model. If you want both features on the vehicle, you have to upgrade trims where one of the desired features becomes standardized by the trim upgrade, but then another option that was in one of two options on the lower model is not available in the higher model at all.

Looking over the Brazilian models, the SL(SR + Premium) interior looks classier and has more options.

Best Value Vehicle by Model

Base
  • Kicks
Mid(Depends on Customer's definition of what Mid is)
  • Kicks
  • Soul
  • Veloster
Premium
  • Kicks
  • Soul

Value
The key values in Kicks are:
  • the the exclusion of the auto trans upgrade- $1k
  • the inclusion collision breaking - $1k.

The other manufactures key values for 2018 have been the inclusion at heated seats, $500.

Value & Dealerships
The dealer knock on Kicks is that its optioned more like a saturn, two models each one with an optional package (4 virtual models, same as the Kicks)

The dealers at this point do not like this, small price range, 4 near fixed models. So what are they doing, buying every possible dealer installed accessory, but these accessories installed at the factory instead, such that its on the first invoice.

I just hopefully put down a down payment for a Kicks SR + Premium Package (with $385 in accessories) in Orange/Black. This and the two tone white/blacks are the highest priced Factory kicks available. These would be the vehicles most dealers buy because it has the most profit in it. There are approximately 2000 vehicles (50% S, 30% SV, 17% SR, 8% SR + Premium) that are in stock or transit currently. There is only 1 SR + Premium available in my color.

Most dealers are opting for the other accessories to get the price as high or higher than the Premium package. My gut is these other accessory packages have a much higher margin than the 1k Premium package.

Nissan Marketing
Colorization, Colorization, Colorization

The main problem I see with this is the wheels, its a 1k upgrade to get black wheels and only after that upgrade you get the option to colorize the wheels.

Not sure if the 16 inch steal wheels have a colorization option or not. There is no 17 steel wheel option. I actually would have liked a 17 steel wheel option with the plastic insert that allowed colorization (reasoning is I ate allot of alloy wheels in the m3). I would colorized then vs not doing so now. Keeping the prices models of the same, there would be more profit in the steal wheela, more up sizing in colorization, plus an option to move into a alloy wheel. Note sure what this does to gas millage, guessing a 16 steel wheel + tire weight near a 17 alloy wheel and tire however.

The Kicks is new and has not started a trend yet in the US. The profit was geared at colorization and accessorizing by corporate. Dealerships seem to be bucking this by becoming lighting, kick plate, sub woofer, and exterior option pushers. The kicks might be limited by a new dealership made base MSRP that is $1k higher than what is advertised. Note this is norm for most vehicles, but the with the kicks that $1k price point shift the bar more to the Kona, Soul, and Veloster on the low and Mid models.

Also note the target demographic is 25-35, my spouse and I both like the styling of the kicks, but we are double the age of starting demographic.

My wish list would be a bigger engine option (bigger price range) and adaptive cruise control (autonomous velocity when combined with collision breaking)

·
Registered
13 Posts
My 2k numbers on inventory might be off, since today two more in transit vehicles showed up with my desired configuration, from 1 to now 3. There are still more SRs without premium that have more than 1k in accessories (excluding the $385 mats and mud guards) Note there is no search option for the orange/black option on the Nissan web site. I am in hurry in clicking the show more button way to many times to find more vehicles.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts