Nissan Kicks Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've had my new 2021 Nissan Kicks SR for less than two weeks, but it already has rust forming on its brake discs. It mostly goes away after I drive it a bit, but it seems an issue that should be years away, doesn't it? Of course, I live in a rainy climate. But still, no one wants to see rust on their brand new car. Are any of you having this happen? And if you're in the know, should it be of concern?

· Registered
2020 Nissan Kicks SV
71 Posts
Hey RobRxn, I live on the west coast of Canada. Rain is pretty much every other week here :p
There are brand new cars sitting on car lots with rusty disc and drum brakes. I will admit it can be an eye sore, but it is a non issue.

Brake pads are super abrasive. When they clamp down on the disk, it shaves the top layers off and occasionally will leave even tiny ridges. This also removes any protective coating that have been on the surface of the brakes. After driving the car any distance, your brake disks are now exposed metal. Even a humid day will cause the surface to rust. The only way to limit the rust build up is to park in a garage.
Even if your car sat for a month or even 2 months, the rust would be a non-issue.

this is probably not the answer you wanted, but I hope it at least rests your mind.

· Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Thanks for the info, but you're right. Not the answer I wanted! But makes sense, and I'm sure you're right. However, the discs on some cars seem to rust hardly at all, yet mine gets covered 100% after just sitting for a few days. Que sera, sera, I guess. : (

· Registered
12 Posts
A few days is actually a long time for exposed metal. And discs get extremely hot, heat will acelerate rust. Hot disc, cold temp = condesention and rust very qulickly.

I put R1 drilled and slotted rotors, and thier OEM pads which are suposed to use more ceramic in them, I bought the black rotors, and by the time I bedded the new pads and rotors the black was gone on the contact area. The hub and edges should stay black though.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.