Nissan Kicks Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm noticing that on the general forum, a large portion of the posts are about reliability issues with their vehicle. Is consensus that reliability is below average?

Consumer Reports listed the Kicks as average reliability, but below average owner satisfaction, and I'm wondering if its because of little niggles here and there on reliability? Still interested as I like the look, fuel economy, price, and fact that its the cheapest new vehicle that still has a 360 camera and other safety features. This is for the 2020 version though, not the refreshed 2021:

·
Registered
7 Posts
I’m in a similar boat, I’m considering a leftover 2020 model. Other places to check for reliability information is safercar.gov and carcomplaints.com . However, if you look up models such as Kia Soul and Toyota Corolla, you’ll also see many complaints about issues even though they’re considered to be highly reliable by the public. 🤷‍♂️

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'd wait for the 2021s to be on the lots before getting a 2020, as there's quite a bit of updates that you either may want or would drive down the price of the 2020s even more.

Thank you, that's an awesome link! Sadly though, carcomplaints seems most valuable to those shopping older vehicles since they don't really have much data on new cars from what I can tell. I do see complaints about older Nissan CVTs, and had heard about the lawsuits, but is the new Kicks using a different model CVT? Anyone know if its used on another vehicle for a while that has proven its reliability?

That said, another red flag I've found is on autotrader. So if I make a filter for 2020+ vehicles used that are for sale in my area, there are 448 Nissans but only 101 Hyundais and 103 Kias. Checking quarterly sales volume, it seems that Nissan doesn't sell more than Hyundai and Kia combined, yet the "buyers remorse" low year/mileage vehicles back up for sale are over twice as high. Hmmm... on the plus side, of those remorse vehicles, 224 of them are Altimas or Rogues, and only 34 are Kicks which isn't that far off from the Kia Soul I'm interested in that is at 31. So I'm all kinds of confused. Thoughts?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
BTW, this shows off the new 2021 Kicks that the reviewer loves, but the comment section are all warning about the CVT... hmm.

·
Registered
7 Posts
That said, another red flag I've found is on autotrader. So if I make a filter for 2020+ vehicles used that are for sale in my area, there are 448 Nissans but only 101 Hyundais and 103 Kias. Checking quarterly sales volume, it seems that Nissan doesn't sell more than Hyundai and Kia combined, yet the "buyers remorse" low year/mileage vehicles back up for sale are over twice as high. Hmmm... on the plus side, of those remorse vehicles, 224 of them are Altimas or Rogues, and only 34 are Kicks which isn't that far off from the Kia Soul I'm interested in that is at 31. So I'm all kinds of confused. Thoughts?
If you go to safercar.gov and click on the link to the right “Search for Recalls by VIN”, on the following page change the selection from VIN to Vehicle and type in 2019 Nissan Kicks, you can read about complaints to the NHTSA. Reading about older models can give you an idea of what you might expect from a newer model as the design carries over.

·
Registered
7 Posts
BTW, this shows off the new 2021 Kicks that the reviewer loves, but the comment section are all warning about the CVT... hmm.

Nissan doesn’t have a very good history with CVTs. However, if you check out the recent year Corollas on safercar.gov, you’ll also see many similar complaints about their CVTs as well.

Scroll to the bottom and clicking on the “+” will let you read the details. Perhaps more Corollas are sold than similar Nissans, which could account for the number of complaints. I wonder if it’s just a matter of time before other manufacturers are called to account for their transmissions. Nissan’s line is that they’ve been working with CVTs the longest and therefore have the most experience in working out the kinks. But they recently showed off their newest Frontier and it comes with an Automatic. Possible clue to the level of faith Nissan has towards their CVT? :unsure:

I’ve also heard the comment that as long as you keep your maintenance up, these issues can be kept to a minimum.

·
Registered
9 Posts

Ok so I have been an owner of Versa hatchback (CVT died at 60k), Altima SR, Maxima SV and now Kicks SR 2020. Main reason was I liked the fuel economy and the hieght from the ground (the Maxima hit a lot of debri). So I have not had any problems or complaints with the CVT, and it is a very sturdy car. But it is hard to be satisfied due to the pretty much basic nature of the car. It is very "basic".

·
Registered
9 Posts
If you go to safercar.gov and click on the link to the right “Search for Recalls by VIN”, on the following page change the selection from VIN to Vehicle and type in 2019 Nissan Kicks, you can read about complaints to the NHTSA. Reading about older models can give you an idea of what you might expect from a newer model as the design carries over.
This can be a little misleading. For example I drove a Maxima up to 50k miles with literally no problems except the under panels coming off because it was too low and hitting debris. But when I see NHTSA complaints, it almost looked like a different car. Mine was 2018 btw.

·
Registered
3 Posts
This can be a little misleading. For example I drove a Maxima up to 50k miles with literally no problems except the under panels coming off because it was too low and hitting debris. But when I see NHTSA complaints, it almost looked like a different car. Mine was 2018 btw.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hear a lot about the trans problems on the nissan,,
I work for an auto part delivery store and we have 7 versa notes and 3 of the nissan vans
all are 2017,18s and they get the **** run outta them everyday and I must say we have not
had one brake down with any of them and a few have well over 100k on them.
I am about to order a 2021 kicks for myself I like the new look in the SR model
Hope I have the luck we have with the notes...............

·
Registered
9 Posts
Hear a lot about the trans problems on the nissan,,
I work for an auto part delivery store and we have 7 versa notes and 3 of the nissan vans
all are 2017,18s and they get the **** run outta them everyday and I must say we have not
had one brake down with any of them and a few have well over 100k on them.
I am about to order a 2021 kicks for myself I like the new look in the SR model
Hope I have the luck we have with the notes...............
The SR definitely has a very neat body format. Very sturdy overall. The front wheel camera is amazing. Gone are the days of scratching your expensive wheels. The emergency brake is also very real. i like this car.

·
Registered
2020 Kicks SR
13 Posts
Nissan doesn’t have a very good history with CVTs. However, if you check out the recent year Corollas on safercar.gov, you’ll also see many similar complaints about their CVTs as well.

Scroll to the bottom and clicking on the “+” will let you read the details. Perhaps more Corollas are sold than similar Nissans, which could account for the number of complaints. I wonder if it’s just a matter of time before other manufacturers are called to account for their transmissions. Nissan’s line is that they’ve been working with CVTs the longest and therefore have the most experience in working out the kinks. But they recently showed off their newest Frontier and it comes with an Automatic. Possible clue to the level of faith Nissan has towards their CVT? :unsure:

I’ve also heard the comment that as long as you keep your maintenance up, these issues can be kept to a minimum.
Regarding CVT transmissions, I’ve read an article somewhere but can’t find it now but the article as well indicated that as long as you have an authorized Nissan dealer replace the fluid and filter every 30,000 miles you will have no problem with the transmission. Apparently doing this and using the correct transmission fluid is the key. Makes good sense to me.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
If anyone is curious, this is the updated 2021 reliability guide. The previously recommended 2020 Kia Soul is now on their not-recommended worst used cars list due to numerous reports of IVT (aka CVT) transmission failures.

I've just decided to write off any vehicle with a CVT at this time, as I keep my vehicles 100K+ miles, and they just don't seem to be able to go the distance especially in very hot climates.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts