Wheel Bearings - Nissan Kicks Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 01-05-2019, 09:27 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Exclamation Wheel Bearings

Good morning! I own a Aspen White/Black Kicks SR that I purchased on August 6th, 2018. Can't beat the car's gas mileage. Solid mid to high 30's on the highway. My only beef with the car is that the gas tank is very small (but I drive a lot!) and there isn't a sunroof option. I haven't found a chop house that is willing to install an aftermarket sunroof due to the deep roof dip. Installer afraid it will leak... But I'll search that problem in another post.

I drive 98 miles round trip to work, so my "new" car already has 12k miles on it. Mid October, I was driving home from work and noticed a "whining" noise coming from the passenger front wheel. I've been on this pony ride before, and immediately thought it sounded like a wheel bearing going bad... at 7500 miles? Went back and forth with the dealer, and even had to take the mechanic on a test ride with me, to point out the sound. I am a musician, so I'm overly-sensitive to sounds. Once I took the tech on a ride, he was able to hone in on the frequency and agreed it seemed to sound like a wheel bearing... The mechanic used his "chassis ears" and was able to isolate the sound to confirm it was a bad wheel bearing. They replaced the bearing and the noise went away. Fast forward to last week:

My husband also owns a Kicks. He bought his in June... SV and loves it. (I purchased mine because I liked his so much) He thought he was hearing a noise, but couldn't pinpoint what he was hearing. Our daughter was in the vehicle and heard it, saying: That's the same sound Mommy's car made! We went to dinner, took his car, and weren't even to the end of our street and I asked him when his car started making the sound! We took it to the dealership he purchased his car at, and almost got the runaround. They told us that the car is supposed to make that noise. WHAT?! Then the "dumb blonde" in me came out and said no way. We took the technician for a ride and was able to show him the noise. He agreed that the car was making a noise. We then took a brand new Kicks (on the lot) for a ride and agreed the new car was not making the same noise. My husband's Kicks only has 8k miles on it... he drives approximately 60 miles round trip to work. But both vehicles started having problems with wheel bearings around 7-8k miles. They are ordering him a new bearing for the front passenger wheel.

Knock on wood, since my wheel bearing was replaced 4k miles ago, there have been no new sounds. We are hoping that my husband's car will have the same luck.

Anyone else hearing the sound? Please let me know!!
post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 01-10-2019, 12:02 AM

I previously had a Nissan Cube prior to buying my Kicks. Both share the same Versa platform. I had wheelbearing failures on that car at least twice, maybe more. I'm thinking it's a Nissan thing or an issue in that platform. So far my Kicks, which now has about 8,000 miles on it, has not had a problem. Odd though that two cars suffered the same failure at nearly the same milage.
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 01-11-2019, 11:09 AM

What are the roads like in your area? Wondering if the bearings are getting excessive wear from potholes and divots. Seems unlikely that both your Kicks would experience the exact same fault, unless it is some kind of manufacturing problem.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Nissan Kicks Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page