New Problem! - Nissan Kicks Forum
 2Likes
  • 1 Post By jeffmeag
  • 1 Post By Handyandy

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-19-2018, 03:42 PM Thread Starter

New Problem!

Hey all, I just learned of a new and irritating problem with the Kicks. I bought a 2018 Kicks SR a couple of months ago and enjoy the vehicle. As it has gotten cooler here in the Midwest I noticed a problem with the interior temperature. When the temp gauge is set at 60 or 61 degrees the system blows very cold air, as soon as the gauge is set to 62, the system starts blowing hot air, there is no way to get just warm air or to be comfortable. I took the vehicle for service yesterday and was told by the dealer (after two hours of trying to determine the problem) that it was just designed that way. They indicated that there were several other complaints in the system for the same issue and they found that the system was designed to fully open the heater blend door at 63 degrees. This effectively means that you can set it at 60-62 degrees and be cold or set it at 63 degrees which is the same thing as 90 degrees, full open blend door. The dealer stated that there is no way to make a fix to this, but rather, Nissan has to provide a fix and will only do so if they receive enough customer complaints.

I'm curious if anyone else is experiencing the same thing and noticing that they can not find a comfortable temperature? If you do, I ask that you log a complaint so Nissan will provide a fix to the dealers. My dealer admitted that it was a design flaw and should not be this way.
DJWKicks33 likes this.
post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-19-2018, 05:38 PM

Sometimes voicing your concern in a way that gets Nissan's attention does the trick. Someone once complained in a YouTube video, it went viral, owner got a response
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-19-2018, 06:52 PM
eta

Does the problem occur in auto or manual mode?
I have an SR, don't seem to have any problems being comfortable. Then again, I usually set it between 66 to 68.
I did notice that the fan speed is not linked in automatic mode. It has to be manually set.
post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-19-2018, 09:51 PM

I suspect I does this in auto mode , have an SR as well, and also a jeep, When the jeep is in auto does the same goes cold even when set at one temp put on manual and heat comes back.
I run the SR in manual mostly so not noted this problem.
Maybe the temp sensor has to cool down before it starts to allow heating again.
Have my one set at 21c and always nice and warm even when -18c outside.
mooneypilot likes this.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-05-2019, 08:50 AM

Garage
I noticed the same issue... I can't stand to be in the car above 62 degrees... But I did notice that after the car has been running a while, and if it is cold outside, I'll juice the temperature to 65-68. Thankfully, the engine heats up quickly!

I also noticed that in the summer, the air conditioning doesn't get "ice cold." I keep the air set on "auto" at 60 during the warm months.

My husband noticed the same issues in his Kicks, too.

Next time I'm in for service, I'll mention it to my garage. Can't hurt!
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-06-2019, 08:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blpet View Post
I noticed the same issue... I can't stand to be in the car above 62 degrees... But I did notice that after the car has been running a while, and if it is cold outside, I'll juice the temperature to 65-68. Thankfully, the engine heats up quickly!

I also noticed that in the summer, the air conditioning doesn't get "ice cold." I keep the air set on "auto" at 60 during the warm months.

My husband noticed the same issues in his Kicks, too.

Next time I'm in for service, I'll mention it to my garage. Can't hurt!
Just make sure its a reputable dealer that's willing to investigate the issue, some brush it off unless there's a TSB to go with.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-09-2019, 08:39 PM

exactly same problem every day on my 75 mile each way commute. Constantly clicking between 61 and 62. Thanks for sharing
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-14-2019, 11:01 AM

We experienced the same issue driving over 1500 highway miles during the holidays. I`ll be bringing it up to my dealer next oil change!
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-18-2019, 05:14 PM

have the same problem with my kicks sv. at 61degrees it is cold and 62 and up it is 90 degrees. after the first week i took it back to the dealership (Michael Jordan Nissan). the first visit they replaced a sensor, the second visit they replace a sensor board. still didn't work. after they contacted Nissan they told me to call Nissan direct because they couldn't figure it out. i had to go thru arbitration because i didn't want a car that isn't 100%. Nissan said they would have to send there own tech for an inspection in order to determine if they would buy back the car. the next appointment they had available was in 2 months. thankfully MJnissan gave me a rental. 2 months goes by, their tech comes with me there and sees the same issues i was complaining about and tries to tell me this is normal and reports to Nissan that it is operating as it is designed. they denied my arbitration request to get another vehicle. they offered me a settlement of $1500 dollars for my inconvenience and for the repairs and if i accepted in turn i would have to agree to not sue them. and i am stuck with a car that you cant control the temperature. has this happened with anyone else? and no i did not take the settlement.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-27-2019, 12:54 AM
eta

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJWKicks33 View Post
have the same problem with my kicks sv. at 61degrees it is cold and 62 and up it is 90 degrees. after the first week i took it back to the dealership (Michael Jordan Nissan). the first visit they replaced a sensor, the second visit they replace a sensor board. still didn't work. after they contacted Nissan they told me to call Nissan direct because they couldn't figure it out. i had to go thru arbitration because i didn't want a car that isn't 100%. Nissan said they would have to send there own tech for an inspection in order to determine if they would buy back the car. the next appointment they had available was in 2 months. thankfully MJnissan gave me a rental. 2 months goes by, their tech comes with me there and sees the same issues i was complaining about and tries to tell me this is normal and reports to Nissan that it is operating as it is designed. they denied my arbitration request to get another vehicle. they offered me a settlement of $1500 dollars for my inconvenience and for the repairs and if i accepted in turn i would have to agree to not sue them. and i am stuck with a car that you cant control the temperature. has this happened with anyone else? and no i did not take the settlement.

Setting the temperature at 61 is seems quite low, at what set temperature does the HVAC start operating properly? Some cars don't have a very wide range of operating set temperatures. Our Honda can only go from 64 to 90. Anywhere beyond that, you are on your own.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Nissan Kicks Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page