Question for Other Owners of the Bose Personal Audio Package - Nissan Kicks Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-25-2018, 04:06 PM Thread Starter

Question for Other Owners of the Bose Personal Audio Package

I've had my Nissan Kicks for three days now and have a question for other owners of the SR with the Premium Package (Bose Personal Audio). Or perhaps, another member has test driven a car with this package can answer this question?

The speakers mounted in the headrest do not project music towards the front of the car. So, as I sit in the driver's seat, all adjustments to the Personal Plus settings (wide to narrow) are not readily audible to my ears. Of course, you can feel the sound dynamics change from the other six speakers, but the two in the headrest seem to shape the sound to the rear of the car.

To test this, I sat in the back seat of my Kicks with the stereo operating. I pressed my ear to the Bose speaker on the back of the headrest and reached to the dashboard to change the Bose Personal Plus audio settings (it's not that far). I moved the setting from left to right (narrow to wide) and back. With my ear pressed to the headrest speaker, I could hear the volume increase, but it sounded "tinny" and did not respond to the volume change as much as the other six speakers.

So, my question is: Is this headrest speaker performing as designed? Is it not supposed to wrap sound around the driver's ears in the immediate area? Or is it supposed to project audio forward and into the driver's ears (akin to wearing headphones, but the can about five inches off the actual ears)?

Here's what I think ... if I could shut down the other six speakers mounted in the doors/dash, and could just listen to the headrest speakers, then the sound would be no better than a transistor radio tuned to an FM station 20 miles away. I'm guessing Bose engineers use the headrest mounted speakers in concert with (pardon the pun) the other six speakers to adapt the whole sound either around the driver's ears or the ears in the rest of the cars.

Any thoughts or ideas?

DanH
post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-27-2018, 11:23 AM

All of the marketing around the UltraNearfield headset speakers seem to suggest 360 degrees of sound, but that might be a bit difficult to deliver on. To me it would make more sense for these speakers to project sounds forwards in the cabin rather than backwards. Even this video indicates front facing priority.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-28-2018, 06:36 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for your response and research. I think Nissan's marketing might have graphically suggested the headrest speakers project sound directly into the ears of the driver when the design is to shape the headrest sound to the wide or narrow setting in concert with the other six speakers. I have opened a query to Bose customer support to determine if that is so. I also intend to visit a dealership and ask them if I can sit in an SR with the premium package and test their headrest speakers. Last resort is to drop the car off at my dealer to troubleshoot. Thanks again for your research and response.
post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-28-2018, 11:53 AM

The Bose system works for me , first thing I noticed when driving it was how much the music is right there just in front of your head.
Gives me the sense the speakers are in the dash.
Love it so far.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-29-2018, 07:23 AM Thread Starter

I went to another dealer to sit in an SR with the Premium Package. I wanted to listen to the Bose headrest speakers. After explaining the dynamics in my first post above (not much sound from the headrest speakers), a floor salesman said that the headrest speakers are not supposed to be as amplified as the remaining six speakers in the car. He has an Infiniti with similar Bose sound system. "They are there to cancel noise from other sources." He said if I sat in the SR on their lot that I would hear the same level of sound as what I am experiencing in the SR I purchased.

Please note that I am not unhappy with the sound in my car. I just want to make sure the headrest speakers are installed properly. Plus Nissan and Bose marketing material suggest those headrest speakers are louder than what I've experienced.

My customer support request with Bose is still in play. I am looking forward to an explanation from their car audio engineers.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-29-2018, 01:02 PM

Now you say that you might be onto something, did notice yesterday as wife was driving car me sat in passenger seat that it was noisy bit more road noise, before I had always been in drivers seat.
So maybe it's a noise cancelling system.
Lets hope Bose give a reply soon.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-06-2018, 01:50 PM Thread Starter

Bose has not responded yet, but I did go to the dealer and sit in another SR with the Bose system. Same as mine. I'm certain that the Bose headrest speakers are installed as designed. Just note that these speakers project to the rear of the vehicle and do not project sound into the driver's ears. They are not like headphones. These headrest speakers are designed to shape sound with the other six speakers in the car.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-10-2018, 06:41 PM

I wish brands like sennheiser would make car audio because already they're well known for quality audio products, Bose too, but there's no doubt competition means better products overall for us.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-26-2018, 03:44 PM

Does anyone ALSO have the Rockford Fosgate Audio package in addition to the Bose? Is it worth it to purchase/have installed? is it just additional speakers or is it a woofer?
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-27-2018, 08:36 PM

I mostly listen to talk radio, but when testing the Bose speakers, about 50% of the songs sounded incredible and the 50% sounded average. I could not pin point what the difference between average and incredible was, but I suspect it was how the music was recorded/produced. My testing including various sources, fm stations, streaming, mp3s of same bit rate, etc. For each source the 50/50 incredible/average ratio was consistent. The songs really did not matter, some songs I did not like sounded incredible, some songs i really like sounded average.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Nissan Kicks Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page