Nissan Kick Brake Technologies - Nissan Kicks Forum
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 29 (permalink) Old 05-13-2017, 03:56 PM Thread Starter

Nissan Kick Brake Technologies

The Nissan Kicks for the India launch at least comes equipped with Dynamic Brake Control and Active Engine Brake.

Does anyone know what that is because I sure don't...?
post #2 of 29 (permalink) Old 05-17-2017, 11:14 AM

I found a description of the Dynamic Brake Control from BMW:
Quote:
When, in an emergency, you apply the brake pedal quickly and with force but without really further increasing brake pressure, Dynamic Brake Control (DBC) instantly builds up maximum brake pressure, bringing your BMW more quickly to a halt.
As for Active Engine Brake, I assume it just reacts better to your foot lifting off the gas pedal.
post #3 of 29 (permalink) Old 05-17-2017, 03:05 PM

that's going to take some getting used to since most of us are coming from an era where a lot of our driving comes from feeling, now systems are being developed to take away that feeling. can't wait to try it out for myself.
post #4 of 29 (permalink) Old 05-18-2017, 12:10 PM Thread Starter

An active engine brake sounds confusing to me and I'll definitely need to try it out to see how it reacts. Reducing speed faster when you're off on the accelerator pedal or something. That would increase jerkiness wouldn't it?
post #5 of 29 (permalink) Old 05-18-2017, 04:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KickBacks View Post
An active engine brake sounds confusing to me and I'll definitely need to try it out to see how it reacts. Reducing speed faster when you're off on the accelerator pedal or something. That would increase jerkiness wouldn't it?
Jerkiness depends on how they program it to work and that's definitely not a characteristic wanted here nor is it required for sufficient braking. Actually quite the contrary, this system is primarily for smooth braking. Do some research and you'll see.
post #6 of 29 (permalink) Old 05-26-2017, 10:46 AM

Engine braking is nothing new and your current vehicle probably has it too, but maybe not as effective as BMW's Active Engine Brake system. Shouldn't be jerky at all compared to DBC.
post #7 of 29 (permalink) Old 05-28-2017, 05:04 PM Thread Starter

Here's a video from 2012 that outlines essentially what it does and it does seem helpful but obviously much like all of these assists, unnecessary. I don't brake the way that they depict people braking without the system as once you get an average for your brakes, you really don't get off and on constantly when coming to a stop. At least I don't.

post #8 of 29 (permalink) Old 05-28-2017, 10:25 PM

Not easy for some people to manage since it factors in more observation than they're used to but clearly this stuff is more for what will be a self-driving feature. When applied to that extent it will be far more efficient than any efficient human attempting the same thing.
post #9 of 29 (permalink) Old 05-29-2017, 10:08 AM Thread Starter

That is true, and all of these technologies out there are meant to feed into the bigger picture. Lane keep assist, ACC (adaptive cruise control), etc. All minor segments of the overall picture that is autonomous driving.

Technology will always be more efficient than anyone one person can ever be and the earliest form that we can think of was the automatic transmission. Capable of shifting gears faster than any human can row.
post #10 of 29 (permalink) Old 05-30-2017, 11:37 AM

That's an odd way to brake unless you're a new driver. Braking should be a gentle and ongoing depression of the pedal and how much you depress is by feel. And engine braking has been around for a long time, so I can't imagine anyone needed to stomp on it a few times to make one stop.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Nissan Kicks Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page